Any accident can be life-changing if only that it makes a more cautious driver. When injuries are involved it affects not only the injured but those who care about the person as well. In the case of a hit-and-run, insult is added to injury. Like other accidents, a hit-and-run could be something minor such as another vehicle scraping yours while you’re parked, or it could be as serious as striking a pedestrian and not bothering to stop at all.

What to Do in the Case of a Hit-And-Run

Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal in every state. The consequences vary depending on the type of accident. If you’re the victim of a hit-and-run, try to get the license plate number of the vehicle if possible. An accurate description of the offending vehicle is important also. If there were witnesses to the incident, get their information so they can be contacted later. They may be important resources when you are seeking compensation for your losses.

Your Personal Injury Protection Coverage

Since Florida is a no-fault state, every motorist is required to carry PIP. This insurance will cover part of the medical expenses you incur in a hit-and-run. Most of these policies have a maximum amount of $10,000. If the medical expenses are over that amount and you have Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM) you will be able to use that insurance as well. Your health insurance may also cover some of your medical expenses.

Seeking Compensation

Many times when a person flees from an accident they do not have proper insurance coverage. The vehicle involved may not even be the perpetrator’s vehicle. If the person responsible is found, it may be difficult to get compensated for your losses. There is, however, a fund created by the Florida legislature called the Crimes Compensation Trust Fund. If your case meets certain requirements, you may be able to obtain compensation through this fund.

Hit-and-run cases pose special challenges when seeking compensation. You will need skilled legal representation to fight for your right to compensation. The law firm of Frohlich, Gordon & Beason, P.A. has excellent attorneys specializing in personal injury law who will stand by you. If you or a loved one has sustained injury from a hit-and-run driver, contact us today to schedule your free initial consultation. We have offices conveniently located in the southwest Florida communities of Port Charlotte, Englewood, and North Port to serve you.